Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Top 3 Reasons Why People Change Jobs



I recently just changed jobs. I was paid ridiculously high and was quite comfortable where I was but I realized that though I was not unhappy, it felt like something was missing. And so I made the jump. It got me thinking, why do people switch jobs? Here's my top 3

  1. People switch jobs for more money! Of course that is the obvious choice. We want more money and we need more money with the inflation and living conditions being what they are. That is a given
  2. People switch jobs for better career positioning. Everyone wants to move up in life. If another position is open that offers advancement from the status quo then why not right?
  3. People switch jobs because they are dissatisfied. This is my reason because I was definitely paid more by my previous employer - double in fact than what I'm getting now for the same position. My parents just shake their heads at the thought of not being able to enjoy that kind of money anymore. But it's the better choice I think.
I was dissatisfied because I felt I could learn more. I was dissatisfied because I felt I could do more if I were directed and mentored in the way that I realized could never be done by my current employer. And that is why I left.

But just so we have a moral to this story: although we think that we should be paid a premium for the amount and quality of work that we do, we should still look out for our own personal satisfaction. I couldn't imagine going to work everyday and being so miserable.

2 comments:

Dinky said...

That's the very same reason why I'm leaving. Enormous salary but feeling dry in the noggin.
Congratulations on your move! You'll do better there, I know.

Alter-ego said...

Thanks Dinky. Where are you moving? I hope for the best for you too