Sunday, September 14, 2008

4 Ways To Impress Your Interviewer. Typical Interview Questions All Applicants Should Know!


I have played the role of interviewer so many times while I was a recruitment staff for an international company as well as later on when I became a marketing manager for my next company. However I have also experience the flip side where I was the person being interviewed. Here are some of the things I learned on how to impress your interviewer

  1. Be on time. There's nothing worse than arriving late for your interview. You create a bad impression for yourself as well as a bad precedence. If you're late for the interview, how will you fare when you get hired? Most likely the interviewer will assume you will also be frequently late. I for one, am not a fan of tardiness. As much as possible be on time for all your appointments. Don't waste other people's time please.
  2. Dress to impress. Whatever the position you're applying for, always dress appropriately. Ask around if you don't know what the dress code is for the company you're applying or the position you desire. It's always best to know in advance. I had an interview once and failed in that area, good thing I was on my toes when answering all the questions. This is still not excuse though, I'm not saying you may get the job if you're dressed well but you have nothing in your head, but being dressed well will make a great first impression and the interviewer will note that.
  3. Be prepared. Research the company. It's always good to know the basics. Know what the company is about and what job you're getting into. Interviewers are looking for the perfect fit for each position. The more you know about the position and the company, the more leverage you have versus other applicants.
  4. Be attentive. Listen well to the questions and make sure you answer them concisely and correctly. At the start you will be asked the typical interview:
  • Tell me something about yourself
  • Why did you choose to apply for this position?
  • Why do you want to work for us?
  • How do you see yourself 3 years from now?
  • How do you take criticism?
  • Would you rather work alone or with a team?
  • What is your basic experience relating to the position you are applying for?
  • Why should we hire you?
In any or all cases, a few of these questions will pop up during the interview probably worded differently but those are the basics. The rest will probably be more position-related and probably technical in nature. So might as well get ready for those too

No comments: