Friday, July 4, 2008

Brain Drain In The Philippines




I read in a local newspaper article that many companies think the Philippines is going through some pretty major "brain drain."

And why not? Prices are high, salaries are the same. People can't be expected to stay for that. I should know I got an offer from Dubai that was pretty good. For a staff position, the salary I was offered almost matched the rate I'm getting now as management.

Now if a staff member there earns almost the same as a manager here, you'd probably notice what a big discrepancy that would be for the same position. Of course I'm not familiar with their cost of living there - it can't be much better than here I guess with the global economy acting up as it is.

There have been more than 50,000 healthcare workers (nurses, doctors and therapists) who have left the country and I don't disagree with them leaving but those of us left here are rather at a loss now aren't we?

Anyway that's not all, more and more workers are opting to take refuge abroad than be stuck here in the Philippines. I for one, would rather stay. I really like it here but sometimes it just can't be helped when you think about the opportunities out there...

We need better paying jobs. Salaries that can actually pay for rising expenses. Allowances that are non-taxable. For Filipino workers to actually stay in the Philippines, there has to be the same opportunity here than there is abroad. That is how to stop the brain drain

No comments: