Friday, November 7, 2008

Letting The Job Find You

Sometimes it just gets tiring trying to look for a job. It feels like you will never find the right one and it's frustrating. To address that though is a strategy that will put your name out there. In my many readings about how to find the right career path. I've come across so many instances that say to the same effect - the right job will find you, if you let it.

So here's how a job applicant becomes a prey and NOT a hunter:
  • Publish your work. If companies are looking for talent such as yourself then they will go to these places and maybe find you.
  • Post your resume, or information about your work/ skills and expertise on job sites like Jobstreet where employers can search databases to find the right applicant.
  • Network - Join communities. Make friends or acquaintances. This is difficult for me because I'm not the type. I often look aloof. I don't really like to talk to people I don't know too well. And then I get shy around people who look the least bit successful - sort of afraid to embarrass myself so I just shut up
  • Improve yourself - learn more about your trade, become the best whether by taking classes or just be being self-taught it doesn't matter. The more you know the better.
  • Take advantage of the internet - the internet has made the world so small that if you're at the right place or on the right website at the right time, you just might get an offer from the other side of the continent.
These days there are too many applicants lining up to get the job. I know it's difficult to play hard to get when you really need the job, and so go ahead and apply. But when you've got the word of mouth going in your favor then these opportunities will come to you.

No comments: